06 October, 2011

Steve Jobs | 1955-2011

    When an innovator, a leader, dies; every life he's touched feels it.  His family, friends, coworkers, and rivals all feel the loss.

    Yesterday, October 5, 2011, Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple, Inc. passed away.  I can only imagine the black hole that has suddenly appeared in the Jobs family's life.  His fellows at Apple feel the loss of a leader; and his one-time collaborator, friend and rival Bill Gates, feels the heavy absence left by a worthy and noble opponent.

    Steve Jobs' achievements and history can be found many places on and offline, so I won't rattle them off here with the simple carelessness of a list.

    You might read this and wonder what effect Jobs had on your life.  Look at your smartphone, your mp3 player, your tablet, laptop, or desktop.  If you are using an Apple product, it's based on Steve Jobs' imagination.  If you're using an Android phone or tablet; a touch-screen device; even a Windows PC: some part of each has been developed with Steve Jobs in mind, either by developing a product to compete with his, or to improve upon them.  You may not realize the effect(s) he's had on your life, but they are there.

Apple IIGS (1986)
     I am not a Mac fanboy, and while my first computer was 1986's Apple IIGS; I prefer Windows, but I wouldn't trade my iPhone for any other phone.

    We all have our differences, but one thing I hope we can agree on: Steve Jobs changed the world.
Goodbye Steve Jobs.
Rest Peacefully.

No comments: